Kodama
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sazanami Order - In Depth

Go down

The Sazanami Order - In Depth Empty The Sazanami Order - In Depth

Post  Admin 28th February 2012, 2:36 am

The Sazanami Order - In Depth XOJv1
The Sazanami Order - In Depth 3tmFF

The Sazanami Order is a monastic order promoting peace and the worship of the Eternal Emperor. It was founded by a wise man by the name of Kazuo, who would become known as the first incarnation of the Eternal Emperor.

History of the Order

Kazuo was once a simple farmer, but viewing the devastation of famine and plague around him, he took it upon himself to become a healer. He walked the world spreading wisdom on how to combat the plague with medicine and cleanliness, and how to maintain crops with methods such as rotating what is planted.

Kazuo believed deeply in action and reaction, the existence of yin and yang. It was these beliefs he sought to spread by creating the Sazanami Dojo, or "Water's Ripple Temple," the first structure within the branches of the world tree. Like the namesake, he knew that a small drop of wisdom could create a great effect on the world.

At the age of sixty nine, Kazuo left his quarters in the Sazanami Dojo and proceeded to climb ever further towards the top of the world tree. It was at the top of the world tree that he was said to meet with Oroborus, the great wyrm saw in him a reflection of himself. While Oroborus had responded to the world with anger, Kazuo responded with kindness. Oroborus found himself brought to peace by this man, their kindred spirits becoming a whole. They both departed from the world, entering the heart of the world tree. This event marked the end of a dark era, and the birth of a new age.

As years passed Kazuo would become a legend and an example to the world. His memory would be honored by his students and the Emperor of Numachi by the creation of a capital city within the branches of Kodama. The students of Kazuo would begin to form into a disciplined order, promoting Kazuo's teachings to the growing populace of Kodama.

As Numachi declined and Kodama prospered, Emperor Hiraku began to divide Kodama into territories, taxed by his Daimyo and Samurai. This created rebellion and put stress on the Sazanami Order. It was against the teachings of Kazuo to harm others, but their home and people were at war. It was during this time that the Sazanami began to debate on what was to be done, as many believed war to be justified. The Defense of one's self and country became an acceptable reason for violence.

Others refused to take up arms. One of these men was the lowly monk Hibiki, a young member of the Sazanami order. He took it upon himself to venture into the lands of Numachi and plead with Emperor Hiraku himself. What would happen during their meeting would change history.

Hibiki's pleas fell on deaf ears as Emperor Hiraku outright refused to relent on his taxation of Kodama. Fortunately for the Rebels, Emperor Hiraku died that very night of asphyxiation, which Hibiki claimed to be a result of Emperor Hiraku's gluttony.

On hearing of Hiraku's death, his Generals and Daimyo began a war against each other, fighting to claim the throne of Numachi. Hibiki fled the chaos and returned to Kodama, where he was greeted as a hero by the rebels. Hibiki insisted that he had nothing to do with Emperor Hiraku's death, but to this day his true actions are under question.

Due to Hibiki's perceived actions, the Sazanami Order would come to agree that violence was acceptable only as a last resort in defense. The Sazanami Monks thus began to practice defensive forms of martial arts, as well as popularizing the use of Spell Scrolls amongst the order. Their lifestyle would become more ritualized as times changed.

Hibiki would later be named the first Emperor of Independent Kodama. He would calm Numachi with gifts, bringing peace to the world. His rule would see many changes in the castes, and the naming of the artisan Makoto Teiji as his Shogun.

On his death, the Sazanami Elders would declare that Hibiki was the second incarnation of the Eternal Emperor. His eternal spirit shared by Kazuo, would be passed on once again into a newly born child. This would be an eternal cycle, foretold by the stars, that could only end with the death of Oroborus.

Sazanami Disciples

Sazanami Monks are recruited from all castes, and have recruited members of all races. Monks must join before they reach adulthood, and those that have committed heinous acts are barred from entry. Males and females may both join, but have some different rules and duties.

Those that join the Sazanami Order must renounce all family ties, and thus their actions no longer reflect on family honor, but upon the order as a whole. This also means that Sazanami Monks may not marry or have children. While leaving their family can appear to be a great sacrifice, it is also considered a great honor, and there is nothing to prevent a fully fledged monk from visiting former family and friends.

Upon joining, a devotee is shaved bald, and is shed of all his worldly possessions. Novice robes are provided, along with all the materials necessary for everyday life within the temple. At this point begins years of self discipline and training, designed to make the individual pure of heart and deed. A devotee is often assigned to the supervision of a new Monk, to act as a guide and teacher. A devotee must make many vows before becoming monks, chief among these are the Precepts:

1. I will not needlessly spill the lifeblood of another sentient being.
2. I will not take what has not been given to me freely.
3. I will refrain from sexual conduct.
4. I will refrain from using false speech, deception, manipulation, and hurtful words.
5. I will refrain from becoming intoxicated.
6. I will refrain from speaking of others' errors and faults.
7. I will not allow my emotions to cloud my better judgment.

The life of a monk consists primarily of meditation and rituals. The Sazanami Monks provide common ritual services to all the castes, such as conducting marriages or banishing evil spirits. The Sazanami Monks are also called upon to perform ceremonies involving birth or death. There are hundreds of ceremonies and rituals, and each monk must learn to perform them flawlessly.

Some monks chose to venture away from Kodama to spread their faith, and a great many seek to find evidence of the Eternal Emperor in the outside world.

The robes of a Sazanami Monk have changed little over time, remaining very simple and traditional. The colors white and red are worn symbolically, to represent purity and life.

A monk may leave the order at any time, for any or no reason. These monks may return to the order at any time, but lose any former rank or prestige. Many monks chose to leave based on feelings of love and the desire to create a family, only to return to service in their old age. It is taboo for a former monk to provide the services or wear the robes of a Sazanami Disciple.

Admin
Admin

https://kodama.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum